How about this for the weekend?
Earlier today we published a study showing that public services need to nurture and sustain vulnerable small projects
@EC_OSPO We also need more people in official capacity to understand open source, small projects, and similar. There's far too little understanding and far too much ignorance.
Good morning! Well, there is always this ..
@EC_OSPO that's *very* true in the field of bioinformatics, which I'm working in. Many key open source solutions there are maintained by frighteningly small teams.
As just one example, essentially all SARS-CoV-2 variant detection that the whole world benefits from, uses https://github.com/cov-lineages/pangolin or https://github.com/nextstrain/nextclade.
Lineage assignments made with these tools are underlying anything from WHO statements to newspapers headlines, but look at the CoV-lineages and nextstrain teams :-D
@EC_OSPO really nice.
For those who wanna see if its worth clicking through. I think it is 😊
- Development of a Funding Mechanism for Sustaining Open Source Software for European Public Services
- Annex A - Existing Top Down Funding Mechanisms
- Annex B - Existing Bottom Up Funding Mechanisms
- Annex C - Non Financial Sustainability Issues and Solutions
- Funding Mechanism Study - Docx Files
- Funding Mechanism Study - ODT Files
EU Voice is the official ActivityPub microblogging platform of the EU institutions, bodies and agencies (EUIs). Together with EU Video, it is part of an alternative social media pilot program proposed, and provided by the European Data Protection Supervisor (EDPS).